Tuesday 11 February 2014

First Game in 2014

orc army

Sunday night Krüger and I talked an hour about the stock market, banks and economics in general (although we don't know anything about it) and then we played Hordes of the Things for about an hour and a half. It was our first game this year.

I played wood elves: spear general, 2 spears, 3 shooters, 1 hero, 1 behemoth, 2 flyers.

Krüger played orcs: warband general, 5 warbands, 1 hero, 1 behemoth, 2 riders.

Krüger was the defender. He placed 4 woods and a temple as the terrain and deployed his army on the left and right side of the building. I decided to deploy all of my troops on my right flank, mostly lined up in a column. Sometimes I like to do this, in order to confuse my opponent's plans and to create a chaotic battle in the course of which both players have to improvise a lot.

Highlights of the game were: my hero killing 2 of Krüger's warbands with the help of a giant bird (an element of flyers), my treeman (behemoth) going over the table edge, fleeing from Krüger's hero and both heroes killing each other in a bloody Elf to Orc fight.

I think I made one big mistake. In a daring move, I attacked one of Krüger's riders (some kind of chariot driven by a giant frog or spider) with two giant birds (flyers), instead of building up a proper battle line in the back. I didn't loose this fight, but in his next bound Krüger was able to attack one of the birds with 2 warbands. The flyer had to recoil, crashed into the chariot and was destroyed.

This was the beginning of the end.

Krüger lost: 2 warbands, 1 hero, 1 rider.  I lost: 1 behemoth, 1 hero, 1 flyer and 1 shooter, thus loosing the game. Krüger is a clever player, so it's always fun playing against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment