Thursday 21 May 2020

SoBH Covid-19

plastic knights

I had all kinds of hobby plans for spring and summer before Corona forced my family and me into isolation for two months.

I wanted to paint some trolls, orcs and dinosaurs for Dragon Rampant or late Romans and Goths. I was still undecided about that. I thought about playing a pirate campaign with Krüger, taking place on the Ivory Coast. And I wanted to play a couple of skirmish games with Alex, a friend from Wesel.

Then the lockdown came.

Apart from homeschooling my three kids, I used the time to continue cleaning up my mother's flat and did some gardening. After a couple of weeks I was already quite exhausted.

Then I found some plastic knights in an old box full of toys and decided to give Song of Blades and Heroes another try.

The first time I played the game many years ago, I didn't understand what it was all about. I was too much into competitive gaming and didn't see the possibilities Song of Blades and Heroes has.

The last two months I have played the game several times with my two sons. I enjoy that it's a real skirmish game which can be played with ten miniatures on each side or less.

The combat system is elegant and has mechanisms 
used by games like DBA or HotT. No bookkeeping is required and few markers.

There is a long list of special rules allowing the players to give each miniature its own character, thus adding a role playing element to the game.

I'm not sure if Songs of Blades and Heroes allows for competitive gaming, but it makes it easy to write your own scenarios and play games with a focus on the narration. This can be lots of fun.

Another aspect I like about the game is that it's generic. It's easy to create stats for your own monsters and characters and there are many supplements in different settings, using the core rules.

Song of Blades and Heroes is available through Ganesha Games as a PDF download or print on demand platforms like LULU. The customer service is great, by the way. I had a problem downloading the rules and Andrea Sfiligoi responded quickly.

So, thank you, Andrea Sfiligoi, for having written this accessible game which has provided my family and me with some home entertainment at the beginning of the corona crisis.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Ganesha Games are very good and excellent value for money.
    Stay safe Karl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm glad I re-discovered Ganesha Games.
      Stay safe Maudlin Jack Tar!

      Delete
  2. What a fun looking and enjoyable game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think reading your blog inspired me to play this kind of game with toy knights. Stay safe! Cheers, Karl

      Delete
  3. I'd never thought about playing SoBaH with big plastic knights! I will have to find mine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to see your old plastic knights in action! Cheers, Karl

      Delete