Friday 7 October 2016

Tupi + Giant Insects vs Orcs / HotT Battle Report

After a three-month summer break, in which I spent most of the time cleaning up my parents' house and taking my children to swimming lessons, Krüger and I had a game of Hordes of the Things on Friday (The Waltrop Campaign / Day 11).


Krüger

He played the orcs who live on the northeastern coast of Waltrop.

Warband General, 5 Warbands, 1 Hero, 3 Riders, 1 Shooter

Krüger was the defender and placed a hill in the centre of the table and two tropical forests right next to it on each side. This is something he had wanted to do for a long time and it looked kind of silly.



tupi and giant insects versus orcs

He deployed his hero and an element of riders on his right flank, two elements of riders on his left flank, all of his orc warbands and a shooter in front of the hill.

I played the inhabitants of the jungle.

Behemoth General (a very big insect), 5 Shooters (Tupi Indians), 4 Beasts (Fiendish Giant Praying Mantis), 2 Water Lurkers

As seen from my side of the table, my army was deployed like this:

Beasts / Beasts / Shooters / Shooters / Behemoth (General) / Shooters / Shooters / Shooters / Beasts / Beasts

So this is what happened:

Krüger’s hero destroyed one of my beasts.

My behemoth general made it to the top of the hill and destroyed two orc warbands.

Two Orc riders destroyed one of my beasts.


my behemoth general is pushed back


My behemoth was pushed back into the forest and destroyed another element of beasts in its path.

(We had some doubt if the rules actually work this way.)

My last surviving beast destroyed Krüger’s shooters.

Three Tupi shooters combined their forces and shot down two orc warbands.


my behemoth general is destroyed

Krüger’s warband general chased my general through the woods and finally destroyed it with the help of some side and rear support.

Krüger’s hero destroyed one of my shooters.

The orcs won and now occupy hexagon 11 on our campaign map.

Hendrik's campaign map

Six-year-old Hendrik watched us prepare the game and drew his version of the campaign map. He thinks it looks much better than our map. I think he might be right.

5 comments:

  1. Now those are army combinations we don't see too often.

    A great victory for greenskins everywhere, but I'm sure the Insect/Tupi Coalition will make a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Orc General did very well. But the Insect/Tupi Coalition will have its vengeance soon.

      Delete
  2. "My behemoth was pushed back into the forest and destroyed another element of beasts in its path.

    (We had some doubt if the rules actually work this way.)"

    Looks like that what should happen, if the picture above that text is the position before the Behemoth recoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the third picture shows the situation we were unsure about. So the recoiling behemoth (very big insect) destroys the element of beasts (fiendish giant praying mantis) behind him?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's right. There are a few things that behemoths don't squash, but mostly they destroy anything within a base-width behind them when they recoil.

      Delete